Subject: Re: About cups
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Eric Gillespie <epg@pretzelnet.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/11/2002 20:15:52
Eric Jacoboni <jaco@teaser.fr> writes:

> I've just installed the cups package (along with cupsomatic and
> cupsomatic-ppds) in order to deal with my new HP DJ 5550 and
> the new hpijs driver.

I recently install cups to use with my Kyocera FS-1010 (no
cupsomatic necessary for me).

> I've browse the cupsd manpage and the cups.org documentation
> (rather obscure, imho).

You're probably putting too much work into this, which is what i
did at first, too.  Finally, i decided to test what the
documentation seemed to be assuming (that this thing works out of
the box with zero configuration), and reinstalled from scratch.

> I've found it nowhere but i suppose i have to run the cupsd
> daemon... So i do.

Yes, starting the daemon is the only step after installation.
After that, just connect to the web interface with the root
username and password and add your printer.  For my printer, i
had to copy the PPD file off the Windows setup CD to
'/usr/pkg/share/cups/model/local/Kyocera-FS-1010.ppd' to make it
appear in the list of known printer types.  cupsomatic probably
takes care of this step for you.

Of course, there *is* further configuration work if you want to
secure things.  But it really is surprisingly easy to get from
nothing to a working configuration.

> But when i issue this command, i get a message "no system
> default destination"

That is probably correct; you have not yet configured a printer.

> When i try to connect to the cups server
> (http://localhost:631), i have to enter a username and a
> password : i've tried root or other account, all fail.

That's strange; the root username and password worked for me.

--
Eric Gillespie <*> epg@pretzelnet.org

Build a fire for a man, and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on
fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. -Terry Pratchett