Subject: Re: problems in installing 1.5.3
To: Always Bishan <bishan58@indiatimes.com>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/11/2002 21:06:51
On Wed, Sep 11, 2002 at 10:21:46AM +0530, Always Bishan wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I've been facing some problems in setting up NetBSD 1.5.3
> on a 386 box (128MB RAM, 4GB hard disk).
> I haven't got any installation CDs for this version, so I'm
> downloading the packages off the net and installing them.
>

> The first problem is that sometimes when I boot the kernel,
> it automatically goes into debugger mode. Since I don't know
> how to debug the kernel yet, I simply need to exit the debugger
> but am unable to do so.

As I just said, if it goes to ddb then you've got a problem. Exiting from
ddb the kernel will panic and reboot

> The second problem is that when I tried compiling the kernel with
> DDB_NOPANIC=0, the kernel refused to boot up.
>

> The third problem is that I'm unable to use any window manager right
> now. I've downloaded packages for KDE and Open Look from the net.
> I tried startx last night (with olvwm in my $HOME/.xinitrc), but I
> only got 3 xterms with no window manager! Can anyone suggest which
> window manager is the easiest to install on NetBSD 1.5.3?

twm, it comes with XFree ? :)
I use fvwm, but remplacing olvwm with fvwm in your .xinitrc won't probably
solve your problem.
Make sure your .xinitrc is executable (chmod 755 $HOME/.xinitrc).

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>