Subject: Re: OSS says: kernel: page fault trap, code=0
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Gan Uesli Starling <alias@starling.us>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/10/2002 13:49:26
Update of test conditons relating to kernel panic of OSS 397c
on NetBSD 1.5.4_Alpha for D815EEA motherboard.

Dev at OSS beieves there is some change in the kernel for
NetBSD 1.5.4_Alpha with effects beyond OpenSSL. He reports
having edited one aspect of OSS to make it work with audacity.
I believe he said it was the "select" command which he had
modified. Also I have performed additional tests. I have
marked these. New listings are marked by "<--<< NEW" at far
right of line.

Panic on install occurs at the point where oss-install     <--<< NEW INFO
calls for the OSS command 'soundconf'. And 'soundconf'
panics by itself under same conditions where 'oss-install'
would panic. Thus 'soundconf' is causing the panic.

THE NETBSD BOXES:

I have two machines. Both runNetBSD 1.5.4_Alhpa a most
recent CVS of 1.5 tree.

1. An Intel D815EEA motherboard with 700MHz Celeron and 512MB
   in a tower box.
2, A ThinkPad 820Z with 233MHz PII and 96MB which is a laptop.

VERSIONS OF OSS:

There were two versions of OSS for NetBSD 1.5.3 as follows:

1. Old OSS which was removed from opensound.org for reportedly
   having a bug which prevented OSS from working with audacity
   on NetBSD.
2. New OSS which is bug-fixed according to opensound.org

Both the tarballs for old and new OSS both have identical
names. There is no version by which to distinguish them.

THE KERNELS:

Both versions of OSS (old and new) alike require a custom
kernel which is GENERIC sans any audio drivers.

Thus I have now three kernels to boot from:

1. netbsd (un-edited GENERIC)
2. netbsd.oss (my own audio-free GENERIC)
3. netbsd.4Front (emailed to me from opensound.org)

THE PANIC CONDITIONS:

Panic occurs only in certain combinations. Always it
involves the new OSS and an audio-free kernel. So far,
always it has been on the Celeron tower box. But I have
not extensively tested on the PII laptop yet.

Below is a matrix of all the conditions for the tower unit
with the Intel motherboard and the SoundBlaster card:

1. netbsd (GENERIC) kernel with old OSS.
   a. No panic ever.
   b. Will not record, mix or play at all.

2. netbsd (GENERIC) kernel with new OSS.
   a. No panic on install.
   b. Will not record, mix or play at all.

3. netbsd.oss (audio-free GENERIC) kernel with old OSS.
   a. No panic on install.
   b. Will record, mix and play by itself (very well too).
   c. Will not work with any NetBSD audio package.

4. netbsd.oss (audio-free GENERIC) kernel with new OSS.
   a. Panics every time. Can't do a thing.

5. netbsd.4Front (emailed by Dev) kernel with old OSS.
   a. Not yet attempted. (I had tossed the old tarball when
      opensound.org told me to do so. That was before they
      had sent me their own kernel by email.)

6. netbsd.4Front (emailed by OSS) kernel with new OSS.
   a. Panics every time. Can't do a thing.

Here are further test conditions.

7. Install new OSS on netbsd (GENERIC) kernel then
   reboot to an audio-free kernel (either netbsd.oss or
   netbsd.4Front) and then call the OSS command 'soundconf'.
   a. No panic on install.
   b. Panic on 'soundconf'.

8. Attempt install of new OSS with audio-free kernel       <--<< NEW TEST
   netbsd.oss with RAM reduced from 512MB to 256MB.
   a. Panics every time. Can't do a thing.                 <--<< NEW INFO

9. Attempt install of new OSS with audio-free kernel       <--<< NEW TEST
   netbsd.oss with the SB 512 PCI card removed.
   a. Panics every time. Can't do a thing.                 <--<< NEW INFO

Now... Below are the conditions for the ThinkPad 820Z. I have
not tried much to use OSS on the ThinkPad since I don't plan
to do that later. But here again is the same matrix of tests
as above for the ThinkPad.

1. netbsd (GENERIC) kernel with old OSS.
   a. No panic on install.

2. netbsd (GENERIC) kernel with new OSS.
   a. No panic on install.

3. netbsd.oss (audio-free GENERIC) kernel with old OSS.
   a. No install yet attempted.

4. netbsd.oss (audio-free GENERIC) kernel with new OSS
   a. No panic on install. Before once it had, but this.   <--<< NEW INFO
      was MY fault. I tought it had a NeoMagic chip, but.
      I was wrong. When I got the chip right, no more.
      panic on install.
   b. Will mix and play.                                   <--<< NEW INFO
   c. Tries to record...valiantly, but the laptop is too   <--<< NEW INFO
      old and slow. So fails but not due to OSS.

5. netbsd.4Front (emailed by Dev) kernel with old OSS.
   a. No install yet attempted.

6. netbsd.4Front (emailed by Dev) kernel with new OSS.
  a. Panics on install.

Thanks,

Gxan

 --