Subject: making a runtime-attached USB umass device mount as sd0
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: ggm@apnic.net <ggm@apnic.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/09/2002 12:58:20
I've searched the email archives, but can't see a message about umass
devices plugged in at runtime which suggests people got it to work.

Lots of questions, but no canonical answer. So, is this actually possible?

What I find, is that on inserting a usb lead to a camera, or a memory stick
device, or a USB keyring data module, I get valid USB binding, and I get
assigned sd0 as the first SCSI device on an otherwise IDE disked system, and
I can use fdisk to see there is an MS-DOS compatible file structure there, but
any attempt to mount -t msdos -r /dev/sd0a gets 'Device not configured' type
messages.

Is there some process I am missing to have removable SCSI media bind into
the valid disk structures so mounts will work?

Is this P(roblem) B(etween) C(hair) and K(eyboard) error? :-)

cheers
	-George