Subject: Using dhclient does not correctly setup network
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Lee <lee@unassemble.co.uk>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/08/2002 14:58:48
Hi,

I have just tried setting up DHCP on my netbsd (v1.5) box.  However I
having one big problem with it.

When I use dhclient to configure the settings it issues out the IP
address and the rest of the netmask etc fine, but it does not seem to
setup the routing table correctly.

I can get the following commands to work:-
  ping -n x.x.x.x (both internal & external)
  traceroute -n x.x.x.x (both internal & external)

However when i try telnet or query a DNS server e.g.
  telnet pop.example.com 110
   or
  nslookup x.x.x.x

Both connections time out.

If I issue a
  "route flush", then
   route add default x.x.x.x

Everything works fine.  The thing that is confusing me is that there is
no difference I can see in the routing tables either before or after,
they both have a default route supplied also if I can ping & traceroute
does that not indicate the routing table is working?

Can anyone assist me with this problem?

Regards

Lee