Subject: NewsCache=NewsCrash
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: David Forrai <forraid@gemair.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/05/2002 16:56:37
I built the Newscache package on my i386 box running NetBSD 1.5.3.  I'm
having trouble with this package which may be more of an issue with the
news server I'm trying to connect to rarher than NetBSD or NewsCache.
I'm hoping someone more familiar with news and this package might be
able to give me some pointers.

I want to use this package for downloading via dial-up and offline
reading at a later time.  I set up the NewsCache server under inetd and
verified I could connect to it with knews.  I put a single newsgroup in
the fetch file for a test.  I dialed-up and started updatenews.  I saw
some activity on my connection then updatenews terminated in a seg
fault.  It created the spool for the newsgroup.  Accessing the server
with knews, I saw the newsgroup and number of articles but when opened
it contained no articles.  The last log message looked like it was
trying to pull articles from their message IDs.  I configured NewsCache
to pull directly from the server (not good for dial-up!) and got a
similar response.

I suspect there is a command being given that the upstream news server
doesn't like.  That news server is Typhoon by Highwinds Software.

Anyone have suggestions for what I can try next?  Thanks.

David