Subject: Re: ecommerce
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Keith Mastin <kmastin@beechtree.ca>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/05/2002 11:23:23
>Hi All.
>
>A friend of mine is wants to set up an e-commerce site for his small company.
>At the moment he has his college buddy advising him. This friend of his knows
>nothing but desktop Windows, so he paid his hosting service to set up WindowsNT
>server for him. There is no accounting software, database or shopping cart
>running yet so I have a golden opportunity to steer them away from Windows
>altogether.
>
>Does anyone know of an e-commerce suite that will run on NetBSD? If not, can
>anyone wholeheartedly recommend an e-commerce suite that runs on Solaris,
>AIX, HP-UX or any other unix? I'd like to use all open source software if
>possible. It would be nice if most of it was also free, but these guys can
>afford to buy a license or two.

Check slashdot. You may need to set up linux emulation. The alternative is
to put together your own custom "suite", using the best of everything
available. Postgresql for transactional database. For accounting, you can
use sql-ledger or nola. Use php and perl to build the shopping cart...
there are templates posted on the web. there is also creditcard
verifiction software avialable. Use apache with ssl to access the whole
works.

Sell him on security. Take him to the cert or mitre sites to show him how
secure his site will be on NT, then offer him a better solution. Good
luck.

--
Keith Mastin       BeechTree Information Technology Services Inc.
137 Laird Drive    Toronto    M4G 3V5     http://www.beechtree.ca