Subject: openldap
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Keith Mastin <kmastin@beechtree.ca>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/04/2002 21:31:19
I'm trying to set up openldap, following the administrators guide and
quickstart howto. Used the pkgsrc install. My slapd.conf file looks like
this:

database        ldbm
suffix          "dc=mcleodlake,dc=com"
rootdn          "cn=kmastin,dc=mcleodlake,dc=com"
rootpw          hash:/etc/passwd
directory       /var/openldap/ldap-data
index   objectClass     eq

After starting slapd:
bash-2.05# /usr/local/libexec/slapd
... or even
bash-2.05# su root -c /usr/local/libexec/slapd
(doesn't matter which one I do, the results are the same)

In testing the config I get this:

bash-2.05# ldapsearch -x -b '' -s base '(objectclass=*)' namingContexts
ldap_bind: Can't contact LDAP server

ps shows no slapd server running. There was no error when starting the
server, so I assume that I don't need to add a slapd=YES line to rc.conf,
do I?

Any ideas?

TIA
--
Keith Mastin       BeechTree Information Technology Services Inc.
137 Laird Drive    Toronto    M4G 3V5     http://www.beechtree.ca