Subject: Re: OSS Technical Support Request by Gan Uesli Starling
To: Gan Uesli Starling <alias@starling.us>
From: Johnny C. Lam <jlam@netbsd.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/04/2002 13:41:05
On Tue, Sep 03, 2002 at 01:55:18PM -0400, Gan Uesli Starling wrote:

> What else in /usr/pkgsrc/audio/audacity (in KDE, and other apps) is
> likely to be very especially modified for NetBSD in more than
> just the audio?

Judging from the patches in pkgsrc/audio/audacity/patches, we also have
some fixes for problems on 64-bit platforms.

> If I go out and download original tarballs (not modified for
> NetBSD) like what Support at OSS is telling me to do, what else,
> besides just the audio, is likely to cause me more trouble than
> it is worth?

I must admit that this is a tough question to answer.  I think it's
worthwhile to try to figure out how to compile these apps using OSS,
because the process might be generalized into a pkgsrc framework for
doing it automatically for a lot of other packages.  But I'm speaking
as someone who does a lot of work on pkgsrc, so my goals are likely to
be different than yours.

> Before I went and installed OSS (which was advertised as an
> installation for NetBSD -- with its own web page of instructions
> just for NetBSD) my audio stuff had used to play. It did not
> record very well. But it would play. After installing OSS I
> can both record and play...but only using the OSS CLI commands.
> None of my record or audio from KDE or audacity now work at
> all.

I'm sorry to hear that, and I'd sincerely like to get pkgsrc and OSS to
co-exist, but without the resources to do so, my hands are tied.

	Cheers,

	-- Johnny Lam <jlam@netbsd.org>