Subject: Re: setting hostname at bootup
To: None <sam@linux-info.net>
From: Rene Hexel <rh@netbsd.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/02/2002 07:22:13
On Mon, 2002-09-02 at 06:49, sam@linux-info.net wrote:

> The firewall is attached to a cable modem, thus it gets its IP address via DHCP.  Every time I log in, after it boots, the machine name is dhcp-353-292, or something like that.  I am always logging in and changing the host name with the hostname command.  How do I do this automagically?

  Set /etc/myname to whatever hostname you want to give your machine.
If that gets overwritten by dhclient, you can create a dhclient.conf
containing, e.g.

request subnet-mask, broadcast-address, routers, domain-name,
domain-name-servers;

  to restrict dhclient to just the information you are interested in
receiving from the DHCP server.

  Cheers
      ,
   Rene