Subject: Configuring i82801BA audio on Intel D815EEA2
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Gan Uesli Starling <alias@starling.us>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/30/2002 20:54:40
Can my on-board audio driver be configured for
recording? Or should I buy a SoundBlaster?

(Know that I can PLAY an MP3 on KDE2 via
KDE Media Player but there seems to be no
KRecord in the KDE Multimedia menu for some
reason...so it seems I cannot recorde via
KDE.)

My attempts to record via NetBSD (sans KDE)
give warnings of device not configured. I am
using an Intel D815EEA2 Motherboard. Here is
what I have been able to find out so far...

<clip CLI>
gus: {74} dmesg | grep audio
Intel 82801BA AC-97 Audio Controller (audio multimedia, revision 0x02) at
pci0 dev 31 function 5 not configured
</clip CLI>

...and...

<clip netbsd.org/Hardware/pci.html>
Intel i82801AA, i82801AB, i82801BA, and i82440MX audio (auich).
</clip netbsd.org/Hardware/pci.html>

...and...

<clip GENERIC file>
# Plug-and-Play BIOS and attached devices

#pnpbios*       at mainbus?

# mainboard audio chips
#ess*           at pnpbios? index ?     # ESS AudioDrive
#sb*            at pnpbios? index ?     # NeoMagic 256AV in sb mode
#wss*           at pnpbios? index ?     # NeoMagic 256AV in wss mode
#ym*            at pnpbios? index ?     # OPL3-SA3
</clip GENERIC file>

...so it does not look to me like there is anything
obvious to uncomment in GENERIC to make a new kernel for
my audio device. This, even though KDE Media Player can
play an MP3. KDE must have its own driver, I guess. As
for configuring it on NetBSD I am rather confused.

Thanks,

Gan Starling
Kalamazoo Michigan
USA