Subject: Need to create custom boot floppy
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Joe Magee <jmagee@starrider.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/30/2002 14:46:09
Thanks to those who responded to my last request for help with this. I made
good progress.

At this point, I apparently need a file structure on the boot floppy to be
copied to, or created in, the ramdisk created on boot. My floppy currently
has a boot loader and a kernel and partially boots but stops when it can't
find a place to load the kernel in the ramdisk.

The system I'm working on resembles an embedded system. For the initial
boot, no disk media will be present. I need to boot to a point where I have
a working TCP/IP stack running in the ramdisk.

The documentation I've read refers to a file called boot.fs. I found and
downloaded several of these. My question, basically, is how do I put a
directory structure on the boot floppy and have that structure put in the
ramdisk and then have the kernel run there?

I assume that this is, or can be, part of boot.fs, however, I'm not clear on
how to construct a boot.fs to fit my needs. Please advise where I can find
this process, or if I should work with something other than boot.fs.

Thanks,

Joe Magee