Subject: xsane and hp6300c
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Gan Uesli Starling <alias@starling.us>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/30/2002 13:41:26
Who can tell me if this is an error in NetBSD's package
for xsane, or an xsane error, or a human type (like as
in... (> MALFUNCTION: Nut loose in operator's chair...)
sort of error?

When I try to run xsane I get the error...

No devices available

...flash up in an X window. When I acknowledge the
window it goes away and xsane stays gone. I do not
get any opportunity to configure xsane via xsane.

Know that my HP 6300C is in the list of supported
devices. All seemed to go well with 'make' and  with
'make install'. My link to the GIMP gives the same error.
I see in 'man xsane' that there are config files to be
in this dir...

gus: {41} pwd
/home/aplonis/.sane
gus: {42} ls -la
total 6
drwxrwx---   2 aplonis  users   512 Aug 29 21:13 .
drwxr-xr-x  23 aplonis  users  2048 Aug 29 20:01 ..
gus: {43}

...and in a further subdir under that which should
be called...

/home/aplonis/.sane/xsane

...but the first is empty, so the second does not
exit. From 'man xsane' I get the impression that
xsane should let me configure it via the graphical
interface and I should not tweak the configes by hand.
When I look for a device I try it like this...

gus: {44} dmesg | grep ugen
ugen0 at uhub0 port 2ums0 at uhub1 port 2 configuration 1 interface 0
ugen0: Hewlett-Packard HP ScanJet 6300C, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 2
ugen0: at uhub0 port 2 (addr 2) disconnected
ugen0 detached
ugen0 at uhub0 port 2
ugen0: Hewlett-Packard HP ScanJet 6300C, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 2
ums0 at uhub1 port 2 configuration 1 interface 0ugen0 at uhub0 port 2
ugen0: Hewlett-Packard HP ScanJet 6300C, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 2
gus: {45}

...and find my scanner listed. Any clues where to go
from here?