Subject: Re: Unable to install on ld0 drive with sysinst
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Daniel Eggert <danieleggert@mac.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/27/2002 07:02:34

On Monday, Aug 26, 2002, at 05:28PM, Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net> wrote:

>On Mon, 26 Aug 2002, Daniel Eggert wrote:
>
>> But I'm still stuck. I have no device node for my lo0. That is, I have
>> no /dev/lo0. To complicate things further: The install disk image
>> doesn't have a /dev/MAKEDEV either, so I don't know how to access lo0.
>> How do I create the lo0 device node?

I meant ld0, as you guessed, of course.

>It seems the earlier messages were about ld(4) and ld0. So try:
>mknod ld0a b 19 0
>mknod ld0b b 19 1
>mknod rld0a c 69 0
>mknod rld0a c 69 1
mknod rld0b c 69 1   (as you pointed out)

>chgrp operator ld0* rld0*
>chmod 640 ld0* rld0*
>
>   Jeremy C. Reed

OK. That solves the problem of the major number for mknod
I ran all the mknod from a to h:
# mknod ld0a  b 19 0
# mknod ld0h  b 19 7
# mknod rld0a c 69 0
# mknod rld0h c 69 7
# chgrp operator ld0* rld0*
# chmod 640 ld0* rld0*

But when I run disklabel it still complains:
# disklabel -i -I ld0
disklabel: /dev/rld0c: Device not configured

Why's that?

My dmesg says:
# dmegs
[...]
ld0 at mlx0 unit 0: RAID5, online
ld0: 2500 MB, 1269 cyl, 64 head, 63 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 5120000 sectors
[...]

I hopy you'll not give up on me... Thanks a lot so far,

Daniel