Subject: Re: s/mndb is not set properly
To: Keith Mastin <kmastin@beechtree.ca>
From: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/26/2002 13:40:25
>On setting up samba, and I run into a strange error. I'm posting it here
>because I have samba running on a few other (linux) machines, a search of
>the archives returned nothing similar, and same with the samba archives at
>the aimsgroup site. I consulted the mans for all the daemon and the conf
>file, looked for but did not find the DIAGNOSES.txt file on this server.
>
>This is not a problem with shares, it is a problem with daemon processes.
>
>When I do /etc/rc.d/samba start
>/etc/rc.d/nmdb: WARNING: $nmdb is not set properly
>/etc/rc.d/smdb: WARNING: $smdb is not set properly

when you installed the samba pkg, it installed some scripts in
/etc/rc.d for you.  these scripts, like all the other scripts there,
rely on settings from /etc/rc.conf (or /etc/defaults/rc.conf), but in
this case, they're not there, hence the warning.

you simply need to provide defaults for these variables somewhere, but
do not, repeat, do not add these defaults to /etc/defaults/rc.conf.

for myself, i tweaked my /etc/rc.conf so that after it loads defaults
from /etc/defaults/rc.conf, it then does this:

	[ -f /etc/rc.conf.d/DEFAULTS ] && . /etc/rc.conf.d/DEFAULTS

and i plopped all my defaults in that file.  i've also see people do
this:

	. /etc/rc.conf.site

and other similar things.  my suggestion would be to make the defaults
set to NO, and then override these as usual in your /etc/rc.conf file.

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|