Subject: Re: Problems with current pkgsrc + gnome
To: Jarkko Teppo <jarkko.teppo@er-grp.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/24/2002 05:38:57
On Fri, 23 Aug 2002, Jarkko Teppo wrote:

> Has anyone else noticed any problems with current pkgsrc (a few days old)
> and gnome ? I installed 1.6RC1 on an Alpha and started compiling gnome-core.
> The compilation went without a hitch but gnome-session refuses to work,
> no core dumps but I don't get the gnome panel or anything else for that
> matter (well, the "tip of the day" works).
>
> Probably related is that galeon refuses to start up, complains about
> non-working gconf.

I'm running 1.5.3 built gnome, including GConf-1.0.9nb1, on 1.6_RC1. I
just rebuilt GConf to be sure, and still don't see the problem.

Perhaps some database is corrupted? You might try killing all gconfd-1
processes (and oafd for good measure), removing ~/.gconf, ~/.gconfd,
and trying again. If not that, try moving ~/.gnome out of the way. (If
that doesn't help, you can always move it back). I do recall that
gnome is a little unstable at first launch, so if any of that works,
I would exit and save the session right away, before going back in to
tweak.

Frederick