Subject: Re: Wireless?
To: None <engl1279@uidaho.edu>
From: Kevin Lahey <kml@selresearch.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/23/2002 13:30:34
On Fri, 23 Aug 2002 13:16:33 -0700
"Justin Engler" <engl1279@uidaho.edu> wrote:

> Is there any support for wireless PCI ethernet cards in netbsd?  I didn't see
> any on the list at http://www.netbsd.org/Hardware/pci.html

I'm not sure if it will work under 1.5.3, but I've had great success
with the LinkSys WMP-11 under NetBSD-current.  Presumably NetBSD-1.6
has complete support for these and other PCI 802.11b cards.

> I am working on a router/firewall solution that involves a wireless connection
> on the internet side, and a standard wired connection on the local side.

If you can run the bleeding-edge NetBSD-current, Jason Thorpe just ported the
Skibo host AP code from FreeBSD/OpenBSD, which would let you run the system
as an access point.  I've found the host AP code to be pretty usable, although
YMMV.

Kevin
kml@selresearch.net