Subject: Re: i386 1.5.3 network frustration
To: James K. Lowden <jklowden@schemamania.org>
From: Jeffrey Ohlmann <jeffbsd@yahoo.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/21/2002 20:19:52
--- "James K. Lowden" <jklowden@schemamania.org> wrote:

> To make sure your hardware is functioning (cards/cables/hub), you can
> run
> tcpdump(1) on the netbsd box and ping it from somewhere else.  It's
> not
> obvious right away, but tcpdump doesn't even require a functioning ip
> setup; it will listen on any ethernet interface, whether or not
> ifconfig(8) has been used.
>
> Even if ping reports a problem, tcpdump should show some activity.
> If it
> doesn't, you have an OSI Layer 1 problem.  If you see something you
> can't
> interpret on an otherwise quiet network, post it here and let other
> eyes
> look.

I now think there is a hardware problem with the NIC. With one machine
pinging away continuously, tcpdump -i ep0 on the problem machine showed
nothing (a third, functioning host running tcpdump showed plenty). I
let this go for some time, during which I sat and observed the activity
lights on the hub. There was no activity on the problem machine's port
save for a few occasionally blips. When I later checked tcpdump on the
problem machine, there were a number of the following:

	21:19:29.xxxxxx arp who-has jeffoh1 tell netbsd386

jeffoh1 is the gateway, same machine that was trying to ping the
problem machine. Netbsd386 is the problem host.

I've tried three cables from various ports on the hub to the NIC in the
problem machine, to no effect. This NIC did work last week with a brief
install of Linux. I'm not sure if I ever used this box/NIC combination
with Windows.

In case it's useful, I'll include the information about the NIC from
the 3c35x9cfg DOS utility:

Ethernet Address: 00A024EC81F9
NIC type: Combo