Subject: Re: NoobQ: pkgsrc installed apps not working
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Keith Mastin <kmastin@beechtree.ca>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/21/2002 12:51:20
>--- Keith Mastin <kmastin@beechtree.ca> wrote:
>> For bash, apache, openssl, and most everything else,
>> this is true, but for
>> some reason lynx worked after running make and
>> rehash.
>
>Are you sure you're not using csh or tcsh? Try "echo
>$SHELL"

Bash... I'm sure

>> I'm also getting used to the idea that everything
>> installed by pkgsrc is
>> installed in the /usr/pkgsrc/ tree by default, so I
>> made the recommended
>> change in /etc/mk.conf to load new apps into the
>> /usr/local/ tree (which
>> I'm more familiar with securing).
>
>It's actually in /usr/pkg. If you install binary
>packages from NetBSD, they go to /usr/pkg as well. You
>should actually leave it be because it's a handy way
>to keep things seperate. Everything in /usr/pkg you
>know is a NetBSD package or something from pkgsrc, and
>you can install your own apps, or apps that aren't
>included in pkgsrc or NetBSD packages in /usr/local.
>I've grown to appreciate this scenario, it's really
>nice.

I don't use pre-rolled binaries if I can help it. I tried with RedHat, and
had problems that I didn't have with sources. Banaries are fast, but
inflexible.  I also like to have all the apps in one location where I can
tighten down the directory security without affecting everything else.
Double the directories = double the nightmares.

>> I did run into a problem last night with
>> deinstalling apache from
>> /usr/pkgsrc and reinstalling it into /usr/local...
>> lot of deps (libtools,
>> mml for two) are not found, having a time trying to
>> figure how to make
>> them.
>
>So why bother? Why not leave it as it was? Everything
>works just fine once you get used to a new path... As
>long as you have /usr/local/<whatever> in your $PATH,
>you can still use /usr/local for other stuff.

Personal preference and paranoia... :) It's all done now, everything is
working and NetBSD is happily chugging away and installing all the apps I
need to make it work for it's intended purpose. The upside of this journey
is that in solving this problem, I now have a deeper understanding of the
works of the pkgsrc system rather than just "setting and forgetting".

--
Keith Mastin       BeechTree Information Technology Services Inc.
137 Laird Drive    Toronto    M4G 3V5     http://www.beechtree.ca