Subject: Re: How to upgrade to 1.5.3 without sysinst and no CD
To: Daniel Eggert <danieleggert@mac.com>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/21/2002 08:28:48
On Wed, 21 Aug 2002, Daniel Eggert wrote:

> I finally managed to get 1.5.2 on my machine. Now I need to upgrade to
> 1.5.3, because it has drivers for my RAID card. I can't boot from the

Are those drivers in the default GENERIC and/or INSTALL kernel images?

If not, you could use cvs (or other) to fetch the kernel source for 1.5.3
(or netbsd-1-5 which is newer). And configure for your particular hardware
and build your custom kernel.

> 1.5.3 installer CD. If I do, I get some error about 'no init'.

What port is this? (i386?)

> So now I want to update while I'm booted into 1.5.2. Is that possible?

I have simply used the tar sets as available via FTP sites many times.
Untar from / while preserving all attributes.

> My /stand dir is empty -- I have no idea why, because I didn't delete
> anything (I just installed NetBSD half an hour ago). Can I copy the

Mine are always empty too.

> sysinst from the CD? If yes, how?

I don't think so (at least not easily). I think the sysinstall is crunched
and packed into the kernel itself in the memory file system.

It would be useful to have sysinst available.
I placed one temporarily at
 http://pilchuck.reedmedia.net/jeremy/tmp-xt487x4tc387t54fc/sysinst
It is 452279 bytes and I built it on July 25 from netbsd-1-5 code.
It is untested.

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/