Subject: Re: NoobQ: pkgsrc installed apps not working
To: Keith Mastin <kmastin@beechtree.ca>
From: Andy R <quadreverb@yahoo.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/21/2002 06:33:57
--- Keith Mastin <kmastin@beechtree.ca> wrote:
> For bash, apache, openssl, and most everything else,
> this is true, but for
> some reason lynx worked after running make and
> rehash.

Are you sure you're not using csh or tcsh? Try "echo
$SHELL"

> I'm also getting used to the idea that everything
> installed by pkgsrc is
> installed in the /usr/pkgsrc/ tree by default, so I
> made the recommended
> change in /etc/mk.conf to load new apps into the
> /usr/local/ tree (which
> I'm more familiar with securing).

It's actually in /usr/pkg. If you install binary
packages from NetBSD, they go to /usr/pkg as well. You
should actually leave it be because it's a handy way
to keep things seperate. Everything in /usr/pkg you
know is a NetBSD package or something from pkgsrc, and
you can install your own apps, or apps that aren't
included in pkgsrc or NetBSD packages in /usr/local.
I've grown to appreciate this scenario, it's really
nice.

> I did run into a problem last night with
> deinstalling apache from
> /usr/pkgsrc and reinstalling it into /usr/local...
> lot of deps (libtools,
> mml for two) are not found, having a time trying to
> figure how to make
> them.

So why bother? Why not leave it as it was? Everything
works just fine once you get used to a new path... As
long as you have /usr/local/<whatever> in your $PATH,
you can still use /usr/local for other stuff.

Andy