Subject: Re: PPP trouble
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: James K. Lowden <jklowden@schemamania.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/20/2002 23:04:28
On Fri, 16 Aug 2002 17:32:51 +0200, Florian Stöhr <ich@florian-stoehr.de>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> i encounter serious strange problems connecting to my ISP under NetBSD
> 1.5.2/ pppd 2.2.4
>
> Let me first summarize what I've encountered:
> - Modem/ISP both work, can dial with same modem, same cable under Win2k
> without problems
> - Init commands to modem taken from win2k-modemlog, they work definitely
> (just reducing speaker volume).
> - SAME PROBLEM under FreeBSD with pppd 2.2.5 (another machine!), so I
> assume a configuration problem.
>
> The problem is that after connection, modem hangs up (4 seconds). pppd
> doesn't report a config error, chat script seems to work. But just when
> the peer starts sending binary data (?), pppd disconnects.

What we have here is a failure to authenticate.

[snip]
> Strange ppp0 output section! And why "Connect ppp0  <--> /dev/ttyp0 ?
> What's the 'p' ?

That's normal.  Something to do with pseudoterminals.  I saw a thoughtful
writeup about them on I think Daemon News by Hubert I think a few months
ago.  I could track it down if you care.

> #/etc/ppp/pap-secrets file (this is a call-by-call provider with
> user-defined, free passwords)
> "ventelo" * "internet"

I think that's the problem: are quotes part of your username and password?
 If not, this is how it should look:

	# cat /etc/ppp/pap-secrets
	ventelo * internet *

> Please tell me your suggestions ... don't know where to search now, I
> played around with this for HOURS now !!!

I know the feeling.

--jkl