Subject: Re: NoobQ: pkgsrc installed apps not working
To: Keith Mastin <kmastin@beechtree.ca>
From: Andy R <quadreverb@yahoo.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/19/2002 10:35:20
--- Keith Mastin <kmastin@beechtree.ca> wrote:
> >>Hi,
> >>First up, all packages will install by default
> into the /usr/pkg/ directory
> >>structure, and secondly, to be able to run lynx
> (or anything else)
> >>immediately after installing it, I suggest running
> rehash, which does this:
> >>rehash         Causes the internal hash table of
> the contents of the di-
> >>                    rectories in the path variable
> to be recomputed.  This is
> >>                    needed if new commands are
> added to directories in the path
> >>                    while you are logged in.  This
> should only be necessary if
> >>                    you add commands to one of
> your own directories, or if a
> >>                    systems programmer changes the
> contents of a system direc-
> >>                    tory.
> >>And thirdly, you should need to do a make install
> to for the files to
> >>actually be installed. AFAIK, a straight build
> will not actually install
> >>the files.
> >>Have fun!
> >>         Piers
> >>
> >Thanx.... now, if only this was somewhere in the
> docs...
> >
> >I didn't need to do the make install. After a
> rehash, lynx worked fine.
> >
> >Thanks again. :)
> >
> ... afterthought... is there a way to get the shell
> to echo back to stdout
> after using lynx? After running lynx, the shell no
> longer echos... I'm
> getting confused by all the itty bitty
> configurations I need to do here...
>
> Thanks again.

That's a known issue with Lynx. Search the archives
for much discussion on it. I think the problem is your
terminal no longer echoes characters right? The fix
seems to be the command "stty sane" which I think goes
back to some known terminal setting. I believe you can
type this while the terminal is not echoing characters
and it will still work.

Andy