Subject: Re: NoobQ: pkgsrc installed apps not working
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Keith Mastin <kmastin@beechtree.ca>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/19/2002 04:03:08
>>Hi,
>>First up, all packages will install by default into the /usr/pkg/ directory
>>structure, and secondly, to be able to run lynx (or anything else)
>>immediately after installing it, I suggest running rehash, which does this:
>>rehash         Causes the internal hash table of the contents of the di-
>>                    rectories in the path variable to be recomputed.  This is
>>                    needed if new commands are added to directories in the path
>>                    while you are logged in.  This should only be necessary if
>>                    you add commands to one of your own directories, or if a
>>                    systems programmer changes the contents of a system direc-
>>                    tory.
>>And thirdly, you should need to do a make install to for the files to
>>actually be installed. AFAIK, a straight build will not actually install
>>the files.
>>Have fun!
>>         Piers
>>
>Thanx.... now, if only this was somewhere in the docs...
>
>I didn't need to do the make install. After a rehash, lynx worked fine.
>
>Thanks again. :)

... afterthought... is there a way to get the shell to echo back to stdout
after using lynx? After running lynx, the shell no longer echos... I'm
getting confused by all the itty bitty configurations I need to do here...

Thanks again.
--
Keith Mastin       BeechTree Information Technology Services Inc.
137 Laird Drive    Toronto    M4G 3V5     http://www.beechtree.ca