Subject: Re: NoobQ: pkgsrc installed apps not working
To: Keith Mastin <kmastin@beechtree.ca>
From: Piers Hearn <endareth@spamcop.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/19/2002 17:18:52
Hi,
First up, all packages will install by default into the /usr/pkg/ directory
structure, and secondly, to be able to run lynx (or anything else)
immediately after installing it, I suggest running rehash, which does this:
rehash         Causes the internal hash table of the contents of the di-
                    rectories in the path variable to be recomputed.  This is
                    needed if new commands are added to directories in the path
                    while you are logged in.  This should only be necessary if
                    you add commands to one of your own directories, or if a
                    systems programmer changes the contents of a system direc-
                    tory.
And thirdly, you should need to do a make install to for the files to
actually be installed. AFAIK, a straight build will not actually install
the files.
Have fun!
         Piers