Subject: NoobQ: pkgsrc installed apps not working
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Keith Mastin <kmastin@beechtree.ca>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/19/2002 03:05:49
Hi again...
Hoping this will be one of the last times I need to ask such a noob Q...

After 16+ hours on this, I have NetBSD on an i696 (i386 arch) installed,
somewhat configured and on the Internet. So far so good.

I installed and upgraded pkgsrc and made the pkgsrc_distfiles dir, went to
www and made lynx. Seemed to go good, end of the make session showed:
Copying Lynx executable into top-level directory
rm -f ../lynx
cp lynx ../
Welcome to Lynx!

... but when I ran "lynx README.html", I got "lynx: Command not found."

I checked the PATH with printenv (this is same as linux):
PATH=/sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/pkg/sbin:/usr/pkg/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin
TERM=xterm
USER=root
HOME=/root
SHELL=/bin/csh
SU_FROM=kmastin
PWD=/usr/pkgsrc
BLOCKSIZE=1k

Updated the locate database "/usr/libexec/locate.updatedb" and did
locate lynx:
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/config/lynx.cf
...it doesn't show in /usr/bin, where I expect it to be. So either one of
three things:

1) making lynx failed (don't think so); or
2) there's a secret undocumented step I dunno about yet (possible); or
3) I did something wrong (probable)

Do I need to go into the /usr/pkgsrc/wwww/lynx directory and do a "make
install"?

TIA

--
Keith Mastin       BeechTree Information Technology Services Inc.
137 Laird Drive    Toronto    M4G 3V5     http://www.beechtree.ca