Subject: Re: Installing onto raid1
To: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
From: Brian A. Seklecki <lavalamp@spiritual-machines.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/19/2002 00:24:11
On Mon, 12 Aug 2002 @ 10:08am (+0100), David Brownlee wrote:
DB> 	- /usr/mdec/installboot -b 16 /usr/mdec/biosboot.sym /dev/rwd1d

One last Q: why "-b 16" ?  From the disklabel(8):

     -b s1bno    Install primary at block number s1bno instead of the default
                 location for the machine and file system type.  [alpha, pmax,
                 vax]

     -B s2bno    When hard-coding the blocks of secondary into primary, start
                 from block s2bno instead of trying to determine the block
                 numbers occupied by secondary by examining filesystem.  If
                 this option is supplied, secondary should refer to an actual
                 secondary bootstrap (rather than the file name of the one
                 present in filesystem) so that its size can be determined.

...just curious...
-lava

DB> 	- 'raidctl -A root raid0', then reboot.	 The kernel should boot
DB> 	  from wd0, then automatically use raid0 as the root filesystem.
DB>
DB> 	- disklabel wd0 to match wd1. Note, if the c: partition did not
DB> 	  previously start at offset 0 you will need to use 'disklabel -I'
DB> 	  (possibly twice to make sure :)
DB>
DB> 	- raidctl -a /dev/wd0a raid0
DB>
DB> 	- raidctl -F component1 raid0
DB>
DB> 	- /usr/mdec/installboot -b 16 /usr/mdec/biosboot.sym /dev/rwd0d
DB>
DB>
DB>
DB> --
DB> 		David/absolute		-- www.netbsd.org: No hype required --

later -           | _BonaFide[] = { coder, author, | /~\ The ASCII Ribbon
Brian A. Seklecki | problem solver, scholar, BOFH, | \ / Campaign Against
                  | vegetarian, runner, NetBSD     |  X  Exchange, Outlook
                  | advocate, spiritual machine }; | / \ & HTML Email

PGP: 0111 4618 0111 4618 4AB2 24EB C853 6611 75C4 A91E A7A7 4973

"Microsoft Windoze: 32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor, written by a 2 bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition."