Subject: NoobQ: single user mode fubar
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Keith Mastin <kmastin@beechtree.ca>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/18/2002 16:19:11
Hi.
I just installed Netbsd on a machine, and spent the last 4 hours searching
the docs and archives for adequate info on this, but came up empty. I have
a few years linux experience, but this is my first deep foray into and
BSD-type OS.

Following the instructions at
http://www.mclink.it/MG2508/nbsddeng/chap-boot.html, I edited
/etc/rc.conf. I did this by "cp /etc/defaults/rc.conf /etc/rc.conf"...
did not make a backup copy of /etc/rc.conf either... Mistake!!

After reboot, sysinit message: "WARNING: $rc_configured is not set
properly /etc/rc.conf is not configured. Multiuser mode aborted."

I tried to "vi /etc/rc.conf": "vi not found".

Then I tried to "set -E" so I could edit files on the command line. "No
entry for terminal type "dumb"; using dumb terminal settings. Then when I
try to vi, "vi not found".

Then I tried to "TERM=-vt220 ; export TERM", then tried "TERM=vt100 ;
export TERM"... "No entry for terminal type "vt220" (or vt100); using dumb
terminal settings."

So I'm stuck here. I could do the easy way out and re-install, but I
won't learn how to manipulate files in single user mode that way. I need a
new copy of /etc/defaults/rc.conf and to know how to put it into place,
also how to set the terminal type.

Thank you kindly for any help, it is much appreciated.
--
Keith Mastin       BeechTree Information Technology Services Inc.
137 Laird Drive    Toronto    M4G 3V5     http://www.beechtree.ca