Subject: Re: quake2 on 1.5.2
To: Brian A. Seklecki <lavalamp@spiritual-machines.org>
From: Richard Rauch <rrauch@math.ukans.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/14/2002 20:55:00
Re. http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-help/2002/08/13/0003.html

(BTW, if responding to this, please include me in the To: or Cc: line; and
please email me at rauch@math.rice.edu (single r); I'm on from my
undergraduate university due to problems with the Rice server tonight.)

FWIW, I've run Quake II under 1.5.2 as a LINUX binary straight from the
CD's.  I was never able to get network play to work (though I didn't try
under 1.5.2; I tried under 1.4 years ago, however).  From the CD's, the
installation was straightforward (except that I used the cpio option
rather than (I think) the rpm that they provided).

The only definite problem that I encountered was the final scene (if you
win) crashes Quake II.  X, and the kernel, are okay, but the game never
really completes.

I never tried a natively compiled version from pkgsrc.

(Of course, the version that I tried was compiled for GNU/LINUX on the
i386.  The CD's claim that accelerated OpenGL (or at least GLX) is
required, but this is not true; it runs with plain X as far as I can
tell.)

  "I probably don't know what I'm talking about." --rrauch@math.ukans.edu