Subject: Re: Can't ping 127.0.0.1
To: Andy R <quadreverb@yahoo.com>
From: Daniel Eggert <danieleggert@mac.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/14/2002 21:33:59
On onsdag, aug 14, 2002, at 19:24 Europe/Copenhagen, Andy R wrote:

> --- Nicolas Saurbier <Nicolas.Saurbier@biodata.de>
> wrote:
>> I also some strange behavior when I tried pinging
>> something.
>> Try the following, delete /etc/resolv.conf
>>
>> I know this sounds strange, but just try it.

I quite agree with you, that the strangest of all of it is the fact,
that no packets get SEND. That of course explains why no packets get
received, but not what solution to choose.

Also, I'm certain, that it is not a problem with resolv.conf. If you
look at the ping result, you can see, that ping correctly maps
'localhost' to 127.0.0.1. If it couldn't the 1st line wouldn't show up.
I also tried to rename resolvconf into resolv.conf.old. Same story --
no result.

When I try to ping any NIC with its own IP same thing happens.

Only new part of info I have, is that when I do a
	pingvin# route flush
strange things happen. First the box hangs for a while, and then the
driver (mc) complains about some watchdog. Something like wcwatchdog:
resetting chip appears on the console. So I guess, that it might be
some problem with the NIC and/or driver. Then again it's difficult to
download via ftp with no internet conection.

I hope someone figures this out. Thanks.

Daniel