Subject: RE: Can't ping 127.0.0.1
To: Nicolas Saurbier <Nicolas.Saurbier@biodata.de>
From: Andy R <quadreverb@yahoo.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/14/2002 10:24:06
--- Nicolas Saurbier <Nicolas.Saurbier@biodata.de>
wrote:
> I also some strange behavior when I tried pinging
> something.
> Try the following, delete /etc/resolv.conf
>
> I know this sounds strange, but just try it.

flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,NOTRAILERS,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST>
> mtu 1500
>         address: 00:a0:40:24:d4:8c
>         media: Ethernet manual
>         inet 130.225.92.238 netmask 0xffff0000
> broadcast 130.225.255.255
>         inet6 fe80::2a0::40ff:fe24:d48c%mc0
> prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1
> and my loopback interface as follows:
> pingvin# ifconfig lo0
> lo0: flags=8009<UP,LOOPBACK,MULTICAST> mtu 33228
>         inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
>         inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x2
>         inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128
> When i do a ping to the loopback it looks like this:
> pingvin# ping 127.0.0.1
> PING localhost (127.0.0.1): 56 data bytes
> ^C
> ----localhost PING Statistics----
> 0 packets transmitted, 0 packets received,
> I press <ctrl>-C after 30 sec. That's it. It looks
> very strange, but hope you can help me.

Hmm. Not too sure about what deleting resolv.conf
would do in this case, but I guess it's worth a try to
rename it...

What gets me is that 0 packets were sent, there has to
be some meaning for that. Usually when you start
pinging, it sends them but you just don't get anything
back. I think this is probably the avenue you need to
follow. Can you ping your ethernet interface using the
IP?

Any nutty entries in your /etc/hosts file or
something?

Andy