Subject: Paramaters for large drives?
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Rick Byers <rb-netbsd@BigScaryChildren.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/12/2002 16:30:21
Hi,
I've got a 70GB raid set that I want to install NetBSD-1.5.3/i386 onto.
The logical disk has 8924 cyls, 255 heads, and 63 sectors.  I want to make
a "small" root partition (512 Meg).  I used the default of 8Kb block
size and 1Kb fragments (since the root partition will probably have a lot
of little files on it, I'd rather not use a huge fragment size).

Newfs gives an error of "With 16065 sectors per cylinder, minimum
cylinders per group is 64.  This requires a block size of 16386 and
fragment size of 4096."  I don't really want to use such a large frag
size.  But if I try that, I get a warning about the rotational map not
fitting in the super block and filesystem performance being degraded.

What sort of parameters should I use for such a large drive?  I'm not too
concerned about wasting some space (I've got way more than enough), but I
don't want to end up with horrible performance.

Thanks,
	Rick