Subject: Re: NetBSD Slices
To: Chuck Yerkes <chuck+nbsd@snew.com>
From: Jeff Flowers <jeffrey@jeffreyf.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/12/2002 16:16:17
> I'm of the view that /usr ALWAYS goes on G.
> Why?  Cause when I have that mystery disk, I will assume
> a=root and g=/usr.
>
> No other good reason that 20 years of tradition.

I based my slice scheme on NetBSD documentation [1], which says:

"Traditionally, e is the partition mounted on /usr, but this is historical
practice and not a fixed value"

So I went with it. With my scheme, I also end up with /home on slice h,
which I like. In any case, the 1.6 release candidate has the newer
sysinstall with greater slice support, so I am happy since I am afraid of
manually editing the disklabel.

Jeff Flowers
jeffrey@jeffreyf.net

[1] ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.5.3/i386/INSTALL.html