Subject: Re: NetBSD Slices
To: Jeff Flowers <jeffrey@jeffreyf.net>
From: Chuck Yerkes <chuck+nbsd@snew.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/12/2002 12:54:43
I'm of the view that /usr ALWAYS goes on G.
Why?  Cause when I have that mystery disk, I will assume
a=root and g=/usr.

No other good reason that 20 years of tradition.

And, having used OpenBSD for 5 years, I've never used
more than the 8 partitions that work with other unixes.
Mostly because I occasionally needed to read the disk
from Solaris boxes and what not.  It was just simpler.
What with 500GB RAID boxes being more common, I'd loosen
up this rule were I using OpenBSD on the large disk boxes.

Solaris 9 has some scheme to allow more partitions - which IS
needed on boxes I have with Terrabyte plus disk arrays.

Quoting Jeff Flowers (jeffrey@jeffreyf.net):