Subject: Re: how bootstrap pkgsrc? (contains suggestion)
To: Hume Smith <hclsmith@yahoo.ca>
From: Andy R <quadreverb@yahoo.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/12/2002 10:01:50
--- Hume Smith <hclsmith@yahoo.ca> wrote:
> building up a new machine for a local business, I
> found it's become a little
> difficult to get a pkgsrc started on a new, bare
> machine
>
> I used to be able to fetch pieces with on-the-fly
> archiving, eg

ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-current/pkgsrc/devel/cvs.tar.gz
> but that's been turned off.
>
> The FTP client has a recursive mget, but it doesn't
> create directories.
>
> Lynx is a package not always precompiled, and won't
> crawl FTP anyway.
>
> CVS is not always precompiled (eg not in

ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/packages/1.5.3/i386/All
> right now).
>
> In the end I compiled CVS at home and installed it
> on the bare machine to pull
> the rest down; but what's the right way? should
> there perhaps be a policy of
> presenting a compiled CVS package for each arch
ASAP?

What you are saying here is a valid argument to make,
but it's really a design consideration of the base OS
and I doubt they are going to change it. After all,
you don't need CVS or pkgsrc to have a functioning
NetBSD system (I never put it on my smaller machines
with limited disk space). CVS is a 3rd party
application, and probably always will be (unless they
come up with some slick auto update from the web tool
like some of the Linux distros or something).

BUT, NetBSD does offer the pre-compiled packages (like
you eventually found out) so you can install CVS from
there, then go and get pkgsrc via CVS if you want to
do it that way. I find that just getting the current
pkgsrc.tar.gz tarball is the best way to start though.

Andy