Subject: how bootstrap pkgsrc? (contains suggestion)
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Hume Smith <hclsmith@yahoo.ca>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/10/2002 14:54:40
building up a new machine for a local business, I found it's become a lit=
tle=20
difficult to get a pkgsrc started on a new, bare machine

I used to be able to fetch pieces with on-the-fly archiving, eg
=09ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-current/pkgsrc/devel/cvs.tar.gz
but that's been turned off.

The FTP client has a recursive mget, but it doesn't create directories.

Lynx is a package not always precompiled, and won't crawl FTP anyway.

CVS is not always precompiled (eg not in=20
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/packages/1.5.3/i386/All right now).

In the end I compiled CVS at home and installed it on the bare machine to=
 pull=20
the rest down; but what's the right way? should there perhaps be a policy=
 of=20
presenting a compiled CVS package for each arch ASAP?