Subject: Re: First time network configuration
To: Joe Magee <jmagee@starrider.com>
From: Andy R <quadreverb@yahoo.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/06/2002 11:10:12
--- Joe Magee <jmagee@starrider.com> wrote:
> I am doing a first time installation of NetBSD
> 1.5.2, and I'm having
> difficulty with configuring my NIC and network
> settings.

The documentation will probably help, but here is a
very quick few steps you can follow:

1. echo <computername> > /etc/myname (just the name,
not the entire domain)
2. echo <gateway> > /etc/mygate (IP address of router)
3. echo inet <ipaddress> netmask <netmask> >
/etc/ifconfig.xxx (local ip address, netmask probably
255.255.255.0, with ifconfig.<interface name>)
4 echo name server <name server IP> >>
/etc/resolv.conf

(you can find the interface name by issuing dmesg |
more and looking for it. It will be something like
fxp0, ep0, ex0, whatever. If you have more than one
card, it may have a 1 like ep1 or whatever)

If you set all of this correctly and reboot, your
machine should be on the network. However, in Unix we
never reboot if we don't have to so you can do this to
bring up the interface:

ifconfig <interface name> inet <ipaddress> netmask
<netmask>

If you have questions about this, man mages or the
documentation previously noted is really the best
place.

Andy