Subject: First time network configuration
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Joe Magee <jmagee@starrider.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/06/2002 11:25:53
Good Morning,

I am doing a first time installation of NetBSD 1.5.2, and I'm having
difficulty with configuring my NIC and network settings.

The install process allowed me to specify the adapter, IP address, and other
parameters. However, the computer cannot communicate over the network.

Investigating the documentation I found indicates I should have a file
called /etc/ipconfig.XXX (where XXX is my NIC device name) and a file
/etc/netstart. My system has neither of these files.

The documentation seems to assume my system already has those files. I would
like to find a howto or other information on how to create or obtain those
files and any others I may need to put this computer on my network. I am
using static IP addresses and connect to the Internet through a router.

Thanks,

Joe Magee