Subject: Re: link wrong
To: Matt Herzog <mherzog@attbi.com>
From: Bang Jun-Young <junyoung@mogua.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/06/2002 02:27:25
On Mon, Aug 05, 2002 at 11:49:53AM -0400, Matt Herzog wrote:
> Hi Folks.
>
> I have a minor nit regarding the web site.
>
> On the page:
>
> http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/i386
>
> there is a link that is supposed to send you to a 1.6_BETA1
> snapshot. One would assume an install set of 1.6_BETA1 would
> be at the end of this link but instead the user is brought to
>
> ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/i386/snapshot/
>
> which contains no 1.6_BETA1 anything.

When you couldn't find the snapshot you expected there, that probably
means some newer snapshots are available and old ones were obsoleted
and removed. Note that snapshots are not releases. They are provided
to help you keep track of -current via binary upgrade (among other
purposes).

> This will confuse and frustrate people.

Please have a look at the news on the front page:

"Snapshots of automated daily builds are available from
ftp://releng.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-daily/"

Jun-Young

--
Bang Jun-Young <junyoung@mogua.com>