Subject: Re: NetBSD LKM?
To: None <muc-lists-netbsd-help@moderators.muc.de>
From: Michael Core <520079546242-0001@t-online.de>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/04/2002 20:04:07
perry@piermont.com (Perry E. Metzger) wrote:

> For something like Solaris, where the user can't compile a kernel and
> doesn't get source to a third party's driver, they make total sense.

I doubt a Solaris-admin wants to compile a kernel. They're used to 24/7
usage. They cannot experiment at that level. Further, as Solaris uses a
microkernel modules have a lot sense and the stability of Solaris is
really impressing.

> They are far less useful in a context like NetBSD.

If LKMs can mess up the kernel space, yes than they wouldn't help a lot.
Though for testing new drivers you could still save a lot of reboots.

Just my 2 cents,
--
Michael