Subject: ram problem ?
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: joerch <helix@mayn.de>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/03/2002 12:37:09
hi

i installed the netbsd 1.5.3 two days ago, on a machine
with an amd k6-2 500 cpu, with 256 mb ram and a nvidia
geforce card.
i wondered why it is running so slow, i installed gnome
one time and as it started i thought, oh my pc is downgraded
himself to 486/40 machine.
i tried this with some other programs, xfce and tried running
quake, a horrible thing.
the machine is much slower than my p166 with 32 mb ram.

how could this be ?

the first thing i wondered was the booting screen, there is
a display Memory: 639/14336 k, is that the ram that should
be installed ?
as i used top and looked at the memory, i always got 16mb
of ram.

2 questions:

is this a known problem, with some chipsets or cpus ?
am i too blind to see the solution ?

both answers are welcome, but i hope i am too blind.

thanks for help

--
gruesse

joerg "joerch" buechner

bis dann bis bald und danke fuer das unix

http://www.home.mayn.de/helix