Subject: Re: Helping The NetBSD Foundation (was Re: iso netbsd 1.5.3)
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Thomas Mueller <tmueller@bluegrass.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/03/2002 04:24:18
> They do (or at least did)... I have official 1.3.x and 1.5.x CDs; maybe
> when 1.6 is released, they'll have some 1.6 CDs too.

: Yes, they are "official" in that the NetBSD Project created the ISO's for
: them. The vendors are the ones who are actually burning the disks and sell
: them. Some of the vendors send a portion of the sale to The NetBSD
: Foundation, others don't.

: Beaker

I had difficulty determining which, if any, of the CD sets for NetBSD 1.5.1 and
1.5.2 were official, and if the official CDs were for all architectures, same
set, or different CDs for different architectures.  I ordered from LSL
(http://www.lsl.com/) successfully using a 32-bit DOS port of Lynx that includes
https but not Javascript (http://www.rahul.net/dkaufman/).

FreeBSD and OpenBSD make it easy by offering their own CDs for direct order;
same is true of Slackware (Linux).  Debian (http://www.debian.org/) don't make
their own CDs but make it clear which are the official ISO images, and LSL
carries those CD sets.  It would be nice if NetBSD would follow the lead of
OpenBSD, FreeBSD and Slackware in this regard.  Now I see through the
Real-Quick Newsletter that BSD Mall (http://bsdmall.com/) if offering CD sets
for NetBSD 1.5.3, but I haven't looked there yet.

I was not planning to order 1.5.3 because of the inability to successfully boot
1.5.x generic kernels on my system, combined with the fact that 1.6 is nigh.
But I would want to download installation and generic kernels for 1.6 to see if
they boot with DOSBOOT.COM, as a partial precaution against ordering something
not compatible with my system.