Subject: Re: promiscuous mode on ex1???
To: Nicolas Saurbier <Nicolas.Saurbier@biodata.de>
From: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/01/2002 09:52:44
On Thu, Aug 01, 2002 at 12:21:53PM +0200, Nicolas Saurbier wrote:

 > how can I set my Networkcard into promiscuous mode???

There is a BPF ioctl which puts the card into promisc mode.  Using the
card in bridge also puts it in promisc mode.

 > Is it the flag "ALLMULTI"???

No, the ALLMULTI flag is an indication from the driver to the user
that the card is configured to receive all multicasts.  Some cards
can only receive "all or nothing" when it comes to multicast, so even
if you configure only a few multicast addresses onto the card, it goes
into ALLMULTI mode.

What is it, exactly, that you want to do that requires promisc mode?