Subject: Re: 1.5.2 -> 1.5.3 : Simplest approach
To: B. James Phillippe <bryan-spamtrap3@darkforest.org>
From: Lubomir Sedlacik <salo@Xtrmntr.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/30/2002 04:17:31
--a2FkP9tdjPU2nyhF

On Mon, Jul 29, 2002 at 05:22:30PM -0700, B. James Phillippe wrote:
> I have a production Alpha box running 1.5.2 with 3rd-party packages from
> pkgsrc as well as some locally-installed applications.  I would like to
> upgrade to 1.5.3, but I don't want to lose my /etc, /usr/home, or other
> vital directories.
>=20
> What would be better:
>=20
> 1.) backup everything important, do a full install from CD, then restore
> important stuff by hand  [this sounds terrible]
>=20
> 2.) backup everything important, install over the top from CD, then make
> sure the upgrade didn't wipe anything out  [this sounds okay, assuming
> that the upgrade process will only overwrite files and not reformat/delete
> things not present in the base install, and that it will either leave /etc
> untouched or create a copy of it]
>=20
> 3.) backup everything important, install over the top from CVS using "make
> build"  [this is preferable, with the same assumptions as above]

i did the following (remotely):

 - fetched syssrc sources from cvs
 - fetched .tgz sets from ftp
 - built new kernel
 - installed new bootblock and rebooted
 - unpacked everything except etc.tgz to /
 - unpacked etc.tgz into /tmp, ran etcupdate and rebooted

that's all. everything works like a charm.  (i386 production machine)

regards,

--=20
-- Lubomir Sedlacik <salo@Xtrmntr.org>   ASCII Ribbon campaign against  /"\=
 --