Subject: Re: Acrobat On NetBSD
To: Jeff Flowers <jeffrey@jeffreyf.net>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/28/2002 20:02:34
On Sun, 28 Jul 2002, Jeff Flowers wrote:

> I will need to add Acrobat to my NetBSD 1.6beta box. This will require
> GNU/Linux emulation and installation Suse-base. My questions in regard to
> this is:
>
> 1. Will this require a lot of configuration or will it work out of the box?

There's nothing to configure with the package.

> 2. How much disk space will this require?

I calculate ~58mb.

> 3. Is Linux emulation pretty fast?
> 4. Any gotchas I should know ahead of time?

It's not a processor-lever emulation, which would be slow: the kernel
only intercepts a handful of syscalls and translates, so it's nearly
as fast as it would be native. "acroread" is not fast, though. If you
have a very slow system, you might like native "xpdf" better, though
it's not as featureful and it won't display every file.

Frederick