Subject: Re: Do you need to rebuild packages that depend on libtool?
To: Rich Carreiro <rlcarr@animato.arlington.ma.us>
From: Alistair Crooks <agc@wasabisystems.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/26/2002 20:07:36
On Fri, Jul 26, 2002 at 12:43:29PM -0400, Rich Carreiro wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I am using pkgsrc for Solaris via Zoularis.
>
> My situation is that I have installed a built and installed
> a bunch of packages with a pkgsrc that is a few months old.
> I would like to get the latest pkgsrc so that I can update
> a few things and build some things that I don't currently
> have installed.
>
> The problem is that in the intervening few months, libtool
> has been revved to a newer version, and many of the things
> I would like to build require that newer version.  The
> ancillary problem is that rebuilding libtool seemingly
> wants to force rebuilds of everything that depends on
> libtool (quite a few things).
>
> Now I realize in general that when one upgrades a
> package you really do want to rebuild dependents
> because of library issues, etc.  However, from what
> I've read about libtool, it's more of a build utility
> than something that is really "used" by the final built
> products.
>
> So, specifically with respect to libtool, is it safe
> to force a build/install of the newer libtool *without*
> rebuilding everything that pkgsrc claims depends on libtool?

Yes, it's quite safe - you'll note that libtool is a BUILD_DEPENDS
(it was changed last year, so if it's a DEPENDS, you have a very
old version of pkgsrc), and doesn't get recorded in the dependency
graph of any of the packages for which it's used to build.

IIRC, you shouldn't have much forcing to do.

Regards,
Alistair