Subject: Do you need to rebuild packages that depend on libtool?
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Rich Carreiro <rlcarr@animato.arlington.ma.us>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/26/2002 12:43:29
Hello.

I am using pkgsrc for Solaris via Zoularis.

My situation is that I have installed a built and installed
a bunch of packages with a pkgsrc that is a few months old.
I would like to get the latest pkgsrc so that I can update
a few things and build some things that I don't currently
have installed.

The problem is that in the intervening few months, libtool
has been revved to a newer version, and many of the things
I would like to build require that newer version.  The
ancillary problem is that rebuilding libtool seemingly
wants to force rebuilds of everything that depends on
libtool (quite a few things).

Now I realize in general that when one upgrades a
package you really do want to rebuild dependents
because of library issues, etc.  However, from what
I've read about libtool, it's more of a build utility
than something that is really "used" by the final built
products.

So, specifically with respect to libtool, is it safe
to force a build/install of the newer libtool *without*
rebuilding everything that pkgsrc claims depends on libtool?

--
Rich Carreiro                            rlcarr@animato.arlington.ma.us