Subject: Re: Questions about Supported Hardware
To: Arthur W. Green <goshawk@gmx.net>
From: Andy R <quadreverb@yahoo.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/22/2002 22:17:12
--- "Arthur W. Green" <goshawk@gmx.net> wrote:
(I'll do my best here...)

> -- Tyan Thunder K7 main board
> (Supported in dual-processor mode under FreeBSD. Not
> sure about NetBSD.)

SMP supported in NetBSD 1.6, but I haven't tried to
use it yet on my Abit BP6 (well, I tried once a while
back but didn't have the patience to follow through).
Your Tyan board should be supported in single
processor mode until 1.6 comes out.

> -- Adaptec 3210S Two-channel RAID SCSI controller
> (Supported under FreeBSD. Again, not sure about
> NetBSD.)

I haven't heard of an Adaptec scsi card that didn't
work, but that's not much help, I know...

> -- Yamaha CRW3200 internal SCSI CD-RW drive
> (Heard of a lot of problems with Yamaha CD-RW's, but
> nothing regarding
> this particular item.)

I have a Yamaha scsi burner, and it works just fine.
It's an older model (8824 I think), but it was never
an issue. I saw that there were some firmware upgrades
which I did but I'm not sure I needed to do them. Not
1 problem at all!

> Anything you can throw my way, would be greatly
> appreciated.

As long as you don't get too cute with hardware, it
should work. Get name brand stuff and you should be
OK. If not, get something else. PC hardware is cheap!

Andy