Subject: Re: DVD movies.
To: None <muc-lists-netbsd-help@moderators.muc.de>
From: Michael Core <520079546242-0001@t-online.de>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/22/2002 11:34:27
rauch@rice.edu (Richard Rauch) wrote:

> Lastly, mplayer (at least) seems to only want to use 12 bits per pixel
> for me.  So, playing in 24 bits doesn't make its life any easier than
> in 16 bits (and, in fact, requirs 50% more data to be pumped out)

If you had XFree86 4.2.0 with Xv (your card supports it) there should
be no difference whether you're in 8/16/24 bit mode because the card
uses always true color in acceleration mode. (If you make a screenshot
you'll get nothing but a one color window.)

> The short of it: It works.  No need to upgrade OS, throw out my
> perfectly good PCI video card, or switch to XFree86 4.x.

I'd really try XFree86 4.2.0 first because of the Xv support and be
sure mplayer or ogle uses MMX, 3DNow and maybe SSE (if your Athlon
supports it). I'm not sure whether it's compiled with -O3 by default
but give a try it _could_ make a difference.

--
Michael