Subject: Re: DVD movies.
To: None <rauch@rice.edu>
From: None <jonl@yubyub.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/22/2002 06:58:10
[snip]

> At least under XFree86 3.3.6 (no Xv extension, I believe), the quality is
> something of a trade-off against what mplayer gives.  The picture appears
> smoother in ogle, but the contrast is lower (and/or the value of each color
> is lower).  As a result, black comes out as somewhat washed-out as dark grey,
> rather than black.
>

> mplayer has decidedly better colors, and I think a more correct aspect ratio.
>  (Correcting the aspect may be why mplayer's playback looks less smooth.)

[snip]

> Lastly, mplayer (at least) seems to only want to use 12 bits per pixel for
> me.  So, playing in 24 bits doesn't make its life any easier than in 16 bits
> (and, in fact, requirs 50% more data to be pumped out)

This could be what is making mplayer look brighter or "better."  If it is
indeed only throwing out 12bpp, you're looking at a severely posterized image
(i.e. 4 bits per color channel, essentially).  Some DVD players (and ATI
cards, when using hardware decoding, BTW) use 10 bits per color channel for
30bpp effective color depth.  12bpp, like a well known detergent, makes your
"whites look whiter" and your "blacks look blacker" due to the smaller
available pallette.
> The short of it: It works.  No need to upgrade OS, throw out my perfectly
> good PCI video card, or switch to XFree86 4.x.

Again, the video card will most likely have to be upgraded in the future, if
you get serious about it and/or you start noticing video artifacts.  Until
then, enjoy!  If it isn't broken, don't fix it (you won't hear me say that
again ;-).
WRT ATI vs. others, there won't be a huge difference unless you start getting
into hardware acceleration/overlay channels.  The big advantage of ATI vs.
Geforce2, for example, is the afore mentioned 10 bit/color channel decoding
capability.  Believe me, 10 bit vs. 8 bit per channel makes a _huge_
difference.  But, then again, I'm picky about my video.
In the end, I'm glad to hear you've got everything running.  Enjoy!

--
-Jon
 "As three unwavering bands of light, we were simple and separate and